HISTORY OF CITY ARCADE
City Arcade was design by T.W.F Newton and Cheattle whom also designed numerous other building through Birmingham such as Fighting Cocks in Moseley, 143 Edmund Street, 41 Church Street and 56-60 Newhall Street. Sadly T.W.F Newton passed away at 40 years old.
It was built in 1898 originally it was two separate building the one that currently stands today and the grander one that intersected with the Midland Arcade which was sadly destroy on the 9th and 10th April 1941 during two heavy raids during WWII.
The remaining part of City Arcade closed in 1961 as part of a redevelopment plan for the city, the plans did not materialise and the arcade was boarded up and became an eyesore and full of rubbish and was threaded with the prospect of demolition. In 1972 the arcade was given a whole new lease of life and received £80,000 investment by Ravenseft Properties Ltd and work was overseen by Cotton, Ballard and Blow.
Statement of Significance
The building is listed under the planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. The significance speaks in volumes from its Jacobean details but a baroque feeling of the movement. It is also a prime example of a Victorian shopping arcade.
The building has three storeys plus attic at the Union Street. The entrance has a giant arch and big shaped gable, flanking it is canted bays rising into domed turrets with bold curving buttresses. The roof is iron with metal supports to the top rib. The shop frontages are the work of the development project in 1972 originally split into 7 units either side, now several of the unit have been combined into bigger units.
Key features of this building is the sculpture by W.J. Neatby, above the entrance are two sculpted heads, then a frieze of angry sea monsters emerging from strap work and separated by tridents. Inside the Arcade the Green terracotta pilasters with niches and domed tops are those of Doulton and Co.